Wednesday, May 14, 2014

A Fond Farewell to Bots 12


Bots 12.... my original training class, a group of stellar individuals, a cohesive unit. 

We arrived in Botswana as strangers and we're parting as a close group of friends - - dare I say family? We've endured all the ups and downs together. We've laughed, cried, celebrated, and mourned together. We left our homes to come and try to help in Botswana. And although I'm quite biased, I must say that I am very proud of all we've accomplished. 

Meet my wonderful Bots 12 family 
In March, we all gathered one last time as a group in Maun, Botswana for our Close of Service Conference. We had the opportunity to reflect upon our past two years, discuss future opportunities, and say our final good-byes. The conference was very bittersweet. I'm not sure when I'll have the chance to work so closely with such a fabulous group of human beings... so I know I'll always cherish the time we did have together. 

We had time for fun too, of course - - the Peace Corps arranged for us to go out on a boat trip on the Delta and they organized a traditional dance group to come and perform. 
enjoying one last view of the delta
We also discussed all the big kid stuff that comes along with closing our service - - administrative details, how to sell our service to potential employers, resume/cover letter advice, etc. We all stood on the edge together - - the edge between the life we've established for ourselves here and the unknown that life holds for us in the future.
genuinely wonderful people
Our close of service conference went by quick, just like our two years together as Peace Corps Botswana Volunteers. Bots 12 will be in my heart forever, along with all my memories from this remarkable experience. 

All my love, Bots 12. Thanks for everything! 

Love & Light, 
TMV 

No comments:

Post a Comment