Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Become Your Own Friend


Each one of us is guilty of being too hard on ourselves. We think, "I am not good enough. I could have done better. I need to try harder."  We push ourselves to the point of exhaustion and wonder why we still don't measure up to our own standards. Sound familiar?

I catch myself in this mind frame more often than not… but why? I could certainly point my finger in a half dozen directions, finding reasons to support this crazy kind of behavior. But alas, that's not going to do me any good either.

If you ask me, simply being aware of the stress I put upon myself is a step in the right direction.  I stopped myself several times today forgiving others for showing up hours late to a meeting, for not finishing the tasks they promised to complete, for making excuses… forgiving them for things I would never do myself. But as I continued my day, I was extremely critical of my own shortcomings and imperfections. Is that fair?

Nope. So here is my conscious effort to start to treat myself with as much compassion and patience as I offer to others. Here's to hoping I stop trying to measure up to becoming the perfect Peace Corps Volunteer, the perfect medical school applicant,  or the perfect friend. Perfection is unattainable. All that I am is all that I can be… and it's more than enough. It has to be.

Can you give yourself a little more love & credit for all the amazing things you do? I think you should. There's so much more to you than you'll ever be able to see in your own reflection.

Become your own friend. Be patient, be kind,  and be forgiving with yourself. I promise you won't regret it.

"Friendship with oneself is all important, because without it one cannot be friends with anyone else in the world." -Eleanor Roosevelt

Love & Light,
TMV 

No comments:

Post a Comment